Thursday 19 December 2013

Icardi hoping for dream Milan derby debut

Inter striker Mauro Icardi says he is hoping to have a dream Milan derby debut when the sides meet this weekend.

It is the first Derby della Madonnina of the season, with the Nerazzurri nine points ahead of their rivals AC Milan heading into Sunday's clash.

Icardi, who scored on his Serie A debut for Sampdoria against rivals Genoa last year, is hoping for another memorable derby against the Rossoneri.

"I dream about the derby night being like the derby I played with Sampdoria last year when I scored on my Serie A debut," he told Sky Sport Italia.

The 20-year-old has struggled with injury this season but believes he is starting to rediscover his form and also expressed his newfound work ethic at Inter.

"We have to knuckle down taking things one day at a time and we'll see where we end up come the end of the year. We worked really well in pre-season. To be perfectly honest when I was at Samp I never worked as hard as I have here.

"Then I had this groin problem, which may have been carried over from last season, and I had to sit out for a while, but I've always been totally dedicated.

"How hard was it sitting on the sidelines? Very hard. No footballer likes being sidelined, but I've had the op done now and bit by bit I'm finding my rhythm again.

"In my mind I'm set on giving 150 per cent when I come off the bench because I'm coming on to help my team-mates and I have to get straight up to their level."

Icardi's technique and finishing ability has seen him likened to Argentine greats such as Gabriel Batistuta and Hernan Crespo, but the youngster distanced himself from this hype and admits he even has a lot to learn before he can be compared to current Inter star and compatriot Diego Milito.

"Batistuta was always my idol, but Crespo had a fantastic career too," he continued.

"Milito is Milito. Everyone knows what he's done in his career up till now and I still have a long way to go to achieve what he has."

No comments:

Post a Comment