Sunday 29 December 2013

Ogbonna: I rejected Roma

Juventus defender Angelo Ogbonna has revealed that two potential moves to Roma have broken down earlier in his career.

The 25-year-old spent seven years with Torino before opting to cross the Turin divide and join the reigning Serie A champions over the summer, but says he could well have been a Giallorossi player had things turned out differently.

“Roma had a look at me in 2011, but I spoke to [Torino] president Urbano Cairo and coach Giampiero Ventura, so I decided to stay with the Granata,” Ogbonna told Tuttosport.
“In 2005 I was just a youngster and Torino went bankrupt, which meant I became a free agent. Roma even gave me trial, but they didn’t have a place for non-EU players and the FIGC took too long to provide an executive order.

“Therefore I returned to Torino and the directors were able to resolve the problem, proving I was Italian.”

Ogbonna's form in recent seasons has seen him win 11 caps for Italy, but he has made just 10 appearances in all competitions for Juventus this season, with Antonio Conte's rotation policy restricting his outings so far

No comments:

Post a Comment