Sunday 22 December 2013

Motta set to sign new PSG contract

Thiago Motta has revealed that he is close to agreeing a contract with Paris Saint-Germain and is keen to extend his stay in France.

The Brazil-born midfielder has played 57 times and scored six goals since moving to les Rouge et Bleu from Inter for a reported €11.5 million in January 2012.

In recent months speculation has been rife that Motta was considering a move away from the French capital, with Juventus said to be taking an interest, but the player dismissed those stories and claimed he will stay at PSG.

"The contract will be done very shortly," the 31-year-old told L'Equipe.

"It's been discussed with the club, there are a few points to confirm but I do not see why we would not continue together."

Motta will hope to continue a glittering career that has seen him lift two Champions Leagues with Barcelona and Inter, as well as earning 18 caps for Italy - despite representing his native Brazil in two friendlies previously.

"For my style of play, I feel completely Italian," he continued, when asked about opting to represent the Azzurri at senior level.

"It was an unexpected opportunity [to play for Italy]. But it is right, I had earned it on the field thanks to my own merits. It is almost a personal trophy."

The midfielder also spoke about his time at Barcelona and why was such a formative experience in his development, helping him to appreciate the defensive side of the game.

"Barca are a great club and they offered me a long-term contract," he added. "They helped me to grow. When you are alone in a foreign country, it changes everything. I listened, I spoke a little and I learnt a great deal.

"In Brazil I played No.10 and I did not like to defend. I was an attacker, I scored goals. At Barcelona I learnt how to defend."

No comments:

Post a Comment